Dispute at the Senate and Death of January 8 Convict Increase Debate about the Supreme Court
Controversies involving Taylor Swift concerts and the climate crisis drive debates
Updated 29 de November, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Approval of a bill by the Supreme Court puts institutions in the digital spotlight
Major terms about Institutional Politics on X
Period: November 19 to 24 at 1pm
Source: X | Elaborated by: FGV ECMI
- The number of weekly mentions to the Supreme Court was the highest registered in the second semester of 2023. With around 5 million posts, the publications about the institution accounted for more than 25% of the debate about Institutional Politics on X;
- In the context of the institutional conflict, Alexandre de Moraes, Rodrigo Pacheco and Gilmar Mendes were major names in the weekly political debate;
- The approval of Bill No. 8/2021 did not placate the criticism of the Bolsonarist opposition to institutional politics. Bolsonarist supporters and Congress representatives mobilized the death of Cleriston Cunha to repudiate Moraes and Pacheco.
Milei’s victory drives discussion with new tensions between Lula and Bolsonaro
- This week, there was a record number of mentions to Argentine President-elect Javier Milei. Bolsonaro made a publication containing a video call with Milei, which reached the highest level of engagement in this debate.
- With the victory, the debate became focused on the expectations for Bolsonaro’s and Lula’s presence or absence in the presidential inauguration in Argentina;
- There are increasing discussions about the potential difficulties Lula’s administration may face in its second half in case the USA joins Argentina in electing a right-wing president.
Consequences of extreme climate events prompt debate on the welfare of the Brazilian population
- There were extreme weather events during the first concerts in Taylor Swift‘s tour in Brazil. A fan died and more than a thousand people had faints due to the conditions, generating a wide debate about protocols for dealing with the high temperatures in large cities. In turn, heavy rains caused power outages in different locations;
- The episodes prompted an intense debate about accountability and failures in the provision of services to the population, especially in light of the needs to adapt to the climate crisis.